Friday, June 24, 2011

Once upon a master bathroom.



There once was a master bathroom....(lets hope this one ends with" they lived happily ever after")

I am an interior designer and to this day i still just do not understand why in a master bedroom you would choose to place the vanity in the bedroom. This has always been something that bothers me. I just do not see why they couldn't add a door and make the vanity a separate room. 


Here is the dilemma, we have the lovely vanity in the bedroom problem in our condo. The shower and toilet are in a separate room. Mr. F has the luxury of having weekends off to sleep in and what not, I on the other hand work most Saturdays and while I get ready for work I am making someone else grouchy by waking them up. (cue blow dryer and bright vanity lights) Mr. F finally had enough, I have also but I know how much things like this end up costing. So here starts the planning process....
"well what if we add a door here"
"and what if we knock down this wall and take out this doorway"
"and we can convert the tub into a shower"

Here is a sneek peak of what the room looked like before we started anything. So you can get an idea  of what the heck I am talking about.


BATHROOM BEFORE

























Don't get me wrong all these sound amazing. But tackling it all on our own? This is going to be a big project, I don't like big projects. Remember before I said I was lazy. Well here is a prime example. I like to come home from work and relax and usually do nothing. Projects like these make me have to give up relaxation time. So I agreed. I know it will look amazing when we are done and if we do it all ourselves we can keep the cost down. We have tiled before, we have installed a toilet and new plumbing fixtures before we can do this! Or i should say we will contract out my father and he will help Mr. F do all this while i supervise, refill drinks and love on the puppy. 

Here is our proposed AFTER floorplan:


BATHROOM AFTER






























If you can not tell, we will be removing the wall & doorway separating the vanity from the shower area, and we will be add a door way that used to be the "hallway" to the vanity. You can not tell this by the drawing, but we will also be removing the existing Almond tub and surround and replacing it with just a shower. oh la la. Main reason for this: our water heater is super small and we can't even take two showers without the second person having cold water at the end, let alone take a bath. But don't worry people we do have a second bathroom to bath the baby (aka Lilly).

This is a big job, we will be gutting the whole room, replacing everything from flooring to drywall to light fixtures, vanity and toilet. This will take a little while to complete and take over most of our weekends and week nights when we can kidnap my father.

 I wonder if there is anyone out there that actually enjoys the vanity in the bedroom scenario?

1 comment:

  1. Seperate bedrooms for each of ya'll might be the lazy ones way. Like some old people do. Im sure what your planning will turn out nice though. Get one of them crazy showers with like 30 jets spraying from all sides to help clean the problem areas where the sun don't shine.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...